Friday, January 24, 2014

Interview with Ginger (Judith White)


Famous singer Ginger (Judith White) faced the SLFP Nomination Board and is getting active in the on-going election battle. In an interview with DM she revealed why she wants to get involved in politics and what she hopes to do if she gets elected.

Q. WHY DID YOU DECIDE TO JOIN POLITICS SUDDENLY?

This is not a sudden decision. I have been in every nook and corner of the city of Colombo and I have been working with MP Duminda Silva from 2004. Everything needs to happen at the correct time and I think this is my time. People need some one to vote who is accessible. So here I am.

Q. ANY PARTICULAR REASON FOR YOU TO JOIN POLITICS?

As I said earlier I have been with MP Duminda Silva during his campaigns. He invited me so I also decided that it is time for me to join. Nobody speaks any good about politicians nowadays. I am not saying that everyone is bad. But there are some who are not even accessible and that people do not get an opportunity to talk or discuss their matters. I am an entertainer and they know me for years. They see me all the time. They can reach me any time.

I would say that this is an opportunity that people would not get for their lifetime. That is to elect someone who is known and knows about them well.

Q. DO YOU THINK THAT YOU CAN CHANGE THE IMAGE THE GENERAL PUBLIC HAS OF POLITICIANS?

Yes, that will be my duty. I want to change the image the people have. People do not have to think twice in voting for me because I am well- known. Someone like me can make a change. Always being the “black sheep” in the family, I can make a change. And if I get elected I will be a “black sheep”. I will do what is there to be done immediately and will take action whenever the necessity comes.

Q. WHAT QUALIFICATIONS DO YOU THINK YOU HAVE TO BE IN POLITICS?

This was the exact question which many people asked me when I entered the music industry twelve years back. I believe it is all about making a difference. Same applies to politicians. It is what I can do for people what really matters, and make them feel that we are with them.

Q. WHAT ARE YOUR PLANS FOR THE WESTERN PROVINCE IF YOU GET ELECTED?

I have many plans. I would fight for the rights of the people. I would start with places and areas which have been forgotten by others. Even in Colombo, there are many things to be done. I will focus on them. I will provide service to everyone from infants to the elderly. I will take action when any urgency arises, I will not postpone things. You know I would not stay at one place. I am a working horse and I always gallop.
The most important thing is to strengthen the hand of President Mahinda Rajapaksa and his development process. He needs someone trustworthy and who is wiling to work for him as he can not check every minute detail. We should be there for him.

Q. MANY ACTORS, ACTRESSES AND OTHER FAMOUS PERSONALITIES WHO ENTER INTO POLITICS TEND TO CHANGE THEIR ATTIRE. WHY DIDN’T YOU CHANGE YOURS?

A very good question. Many people asked me why I did not wear a saree on the day I went to face the Nomination Board. I am a simple person and people have seen me in this way for years. If I change my attire at once then that will be something to discuss about. I believe it is the person’s inner-self and not the outer appearance that matters.
If I wear a saree and come with my braids it will look like Bob Marley wearing an “ariya Sinhala suit”. I do not have to change. People know me well.

Q. THERE SEEMS TO BE A TREND WITH MANY ARTISTS TO ENTER POLITICS. ARE YOU ALSO GOING ALONG WITH THIS TREND?

No, I do not going along with the trend. It is that I feel that this is the best time for me come out and do a service to people. But one thing must be understood. Our neighbouring country India has produced many politicians who were former actors and actresses. For example Jayalalithaa who was an actress has become a powerful personality in Tamil Nadu. There are many others who have created some sort of difference.
Yet my appearance in politics is not because of the trend.

Q. POLITICS SEEMS TO BE A GOLDMINE TO MANY. IS THIS ONE OF THE REASONS FOR YOU TO ENTER POLITICS?

I am not a pauper. I have a decent income as an entertainer. Excessive amounts of money and power will not take you anywhere. What is necessary is to work for the people

SOURCE : DM 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails